Sleeping, eating, hydrating and resupply.
I mailed out three boxes this morning. Two to Kennedy Meadows with food and snow gear and my bounce box to Mammoth Lakes.
There is a popular Vlogger named Darwin who is walking the PCT this year as well and does a similar thing to me but in video format. To get a visual of what I’ve been writing about the last couple of days you may want to check out his latest clip over on YouTube.
I forgot to take a photo of what a good resupply looks like before I boxed it up and mailed it ahead but here is one of my food for the next 6 days.
A thru hikers diet is not that healthy. It’s all about minimising the weight and packing in calories. A typical days menu and option goes something like this.
- pop tarts or granola bars
- I can’t do oat meal these days
- Day of leaving town – fruit bowl, orange juice, yogurt and coffee, maybe a pastry
- Tortillas with cheese and salami
- Avocado (only 1st and 2nd days from town)
- Fruit (from town day 1)
- Tortillas with peanut butter or Nutella
- Bagels with the above
- Fretos mixed into bagels or tortillas
- Chocolate bars
- Little Debbie’s
- Power bars
- Cliff bars
- Nut bars
- Gummy Bears
- Drink flavours and electrolytes
- Nuts and dried fruit
- Ramen with tuna, spam or bacon bits
- Idahoian instant mash with tuna, spam, bacon bits or jerky
- Freeze Dried meals like Backpackers Pantry, Mountain House etc…
- I’ll start adding olive oil to meals soon for the extra calories